NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

This forum was set up as a Community of Practice (CoP) for the module NM4218 Knowledge Management: Approaches and Critique. Please feel free to share anything that you think an NUS freshman should know! Thank you for your participation!

2 posters

Getting involved in an exchange programme

canvascrumble

Getting involved in an exchange programme Empty Getting involved in an exchange programme

Post  canvascrumble Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:53 am

Is it difficult to get into exchange programmes? Like, is there any sort of criteria one has to meet in order to qualify? (e.g. certain grades, modules etc.)

Thanks! Very Happy
    sarahchua
    Admin

Getting involved in an exchange programme Empty Re: Getting involved in an exchange programme

Post  sarahchua Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi canvascrumble! I checked your intro post and saw that you're not in NUS yet, but are interested in joining FASS?

From what I know, FASS is one of the hardest to successfully get an exchange offer. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most people in Science simply indicate where they want to go for exchange and they get in just like that (I've heard this is because they have more available spaces) . For Engineering, it's based purely on your grades. FASS is a step up from that: grades + application essay. I think Business is the same, but I still say FASS is harder because the Business faculty is a lot more helpful when it comes to module mapping (module mapping means indicating to your faculty co-ordinator which modules you plan to do overseas, and the school will see if the modules are suitable for replacing or 'mapping' onto existing NUS modules). Biz actually has a list of modules previous semesters' exchange students have successfully mapped, making applying for exchange a whole lot easier.

With FASS, you have to really take the time to research the universities by yourself and figure out the courses you can potentially map. You also have to ensue that the partner or overseas university will allow you to take that class. Sometimes, if not enough info is available online, you'll even have to email the professors overseas to get more info on the module, so NUS can tell whether or not it's suitable. I guess this can be pretty fun, because you get to check out all the different things other colleges offer around the world! NUS won't let you take modules that they consider not rigorous enough, like wine tasting or tractor driving, though.

Competition for spaces will also be high, as many universities only accept 2-3 students. Hence, you will need high grades to get into the more popular overseas universities, like those in America and England. Places like Korea and France are also hard to get, especially since students in the language programmes might get priority.

Anything else you wan to know? Smile Hope that helps!

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:54 am