NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

This forum was set up as a Community of Practice (CoP) for the module NM4218 Knowledge Management: Approaches and Critique. Please feel free to share anything that you think an NUS freshman should know! Thank you for your participation!

3 posters

Advice for freshmen

sarahchua
    Admin

Advice for freshmen Empty Advice for freshmen

Post  sarahchua Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:20 am

Hi NUS seniors!

What is one key takeaway or piece of advice from your university experience that you'd like to share with freshmen?

What does being in NUS mean to you - has it changed you in any way?

Anyone feel like sharing? Smile
    melissalim
    Admin

Advice for freshmen Empty Work Hard, Play Hard

Post  melissalim Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 am

What is one key takeaway or piece of advice from your university experience that you'd like to share with freshmen?

Work hard, play hard.

I would think that someone who attends university wants to get a degree to get further ahead in life. That being said, you would probably be inclined to work hard. But working hard does not mean you should give up on social aspects of university! It is also important to play hard, and get involved in non-academic pursuits, be it in leadership roles, sports, culture and other interest groups. It is there that you get to know more people and it really helps when the going gets tough. Who knows, these people maybe the ones who stay with you for the rest of your life!

It's my final year in university and I just started up a dance club with some of my friends. People say that we are crazy (most of us are year 4s) and it is true that it gets tough sometimes, managing 4 honours modules and running a CCA. But I definitely don't regret it one bit. To see the fruits of our labour and people who have no dance background picking up the dance, feels really good. You also learn things that you don't learn from theory and books, like soft skills that you can carry with you for the rest of your life.

Strike a balance though, it's often easy to put a whole lot into your non-academic activities that you neglect your studies. Time management is crucial!

But really, don't forget to have fun! Many people take the easy way out and choose not to have a CCA because it isn't compulsory, but then university life would be so boring! Years later you'll probably look back and not remember what you learnt in university (especially if you don't go for a career in your field of study) but you'll definitely remember the good times (and bad times) with your friends and peers.

To end off, a graphic that shows what university life basically is like Very Happy

Advice for freshmen Choose
    Ben Low

Advice for freshmen Empty Re: Advice for freshmen

Post  Ben Low Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 am

Here's what i think.

1) always keep one's mind in a stae of revolution 2) constantly apply and test whatever it is you're learning 3) your discipline isn't the objective truth 4) what you study is related to what everyone else is studying 5) and your life. 6) grades aren't as important as the life lessons you take away from a university education.
    minzyy

Post  minzyy Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Advice for freshmen:

i think time management and self-discipline are extremely important when you're in uni. sometimes we get too carried away doing other things apart from academics.

It boils down to prioritizing what you want after 3 or 4 years of study in NUS.

If you want to make sure your uni life is unregrettable/filled with never ending activities, or establish your network of friends, my advice is don't study too hard, go out and have fun. Why? Cos it's the only chance you've got to have fun before you start working. Join a CCA, experience managing a club, build strong ties with those whom you work with, build your network. Just make sure there's no C,D or Fs in your official transcript and I think you'll be fine. Grades don't really matter unless you're planning to enter the public sector. And you never know, perhaps you might have discovered your true passion within these 3 or 4 years!

If you want good grades or graduate with 1st class honours, then make sure you commit yourself to almost nothing. But I discourage this because you're stepping into the working world for the rest of your life after you graduate. You definitely need some LIFE within the 3 or 4 years of study in NUS!

-PEACE-

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content