NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

This forum was set up as a Community of Practice (CoP) for the module NM4218 Knowledge Management: Approaches and Critique. Please feel free to share anything that you think an NUS freshman should know! Thank you for your participation!

2 posters

Overseas internships

canvascrumble

Overseas internships Empty Overseas internships

Post  canvascrumble Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 am

In regards to overseas internships, does NUS function like polytechnics?

For polytechnics (TP in this case), overseas internships require students to fork out the full cost before reimbursing AFTER the internship is completed. Is it the same case for NUS? Cos this has proven to be quite an issue, as the full cost of these trips are usually quite pricey, & many students actually have to forfeit such opportunities due to this. Sad
    melissalim
    Admin

Overseas internships Empty Re: Overseas internships

Post  melissalim Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:32 pm

That really depends. If you source for overseas internships on your own, you most likely have to pay the full cost of your trip. At times you might not even receive a stipend for the internship so be sure to look through the information thoroughly!

I applied for the NUS-MDA SHAPE internship programme, which provides you with a $2000 monthly allowance, which they put in your bank account every two months. In their application form, it is mentioned that the air tickets are sponsored but after application and going for the internship, I learnt that they aren't exactly sponsored. I had to fork out $2140 for random costs, admin costs and to offset the air ticket costs. I found the form misleading and I was not able to get a break down of that $2140 due to confidentiality issues on the program side.

I think there are many overseas internship programmes available via the school, but you have to check carefully. Some are listed by university websites but they might not provide allowances/stipends/subsidies. Another thing you can do is to apply for the NUS Study and Travel Grant. I did not have enough time to apply for this before my internship, so I don't really know how it works. I'm sure you'll be able to find some resources on that online Very Happy