NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

This forum was set up as a Community of Practice (CoP) for the module NM4218 Knowledge Management: Approaches and Critique. Please feel free to share anything that you think an NUS freshman should know! Thank you for your participation!

+2
Marielyn
canvascrumble
6 posters

Bidding for mods

canvascrumble

Bidding for mods Empty Bidding for mods

Post  canvascrumble Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:30 pm

With so much competition when bidding for mods, how does one ensure that they actually manage to get the core modules they want? Any tips during bidding? Smile
    Marielyn

Bidding for mods Empty bidding sounds scaryyyy

Post  Marielyn Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:15 pm

i heard about the bidding system as well! omg it sounds so scary! any seniors out there who are super good at bidding?? hehe
    kuekyl

Bidding for mods Empty Re: Bidding for mods

Post  kuekyl Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:58 am

Well, when you have a major, you can do MPE to help you get your core mods, so I guess it's not so bad! Haha. And usually you can appeal if you don't get the important mods you need to graduate.
    passtress

Post  passtress Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 am

What's MPE?
    sarahchua
    Admin

Post  sarahchua Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:51 am

Hey passtress! MPE = Module Preference Exercise. You can find out more about it here: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/undergrad/toknow/procedures/module_preference_exercise.html
    It's basically for you to indicate which modules in your major you want, so the school will know how many people are interested in it and if there are enough spaces, may even allocate that mod to you for 1 bid pt before CORS even begins.

Hi canvascrumble:
    I usually find that checking previous semesters' bidding results can be pretty helpful, so you can gauge how many points the mod usually goes for.
    I don't usually have any bidding strategy, although I know a lot of people like to only place their bids during closed bidding so no one can see what they're really bidding. A lot of them bid higher to scare off competitors and then remove their points at the last point, haha. I usually just place whatever I am really willing to spend on that mod and leave it there all the way. Hope that helps! Anyone else have any bidding strategies? haha.
    melissalim
    Admin

Post  melissalim Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:05 pm

One way to get modules you want is choose a balance of popular and not so popular modules in a semester, so you don't max out your points. You can check whether they are popular from past bidding reports. But be wary of these, they may be popular one sem and not popular another.

A strategy I have is to place my bids close to the end of open bidding so that I have a better gauge of the module capacity at that moment, instead of placing a bid super early and having to check back constantly to make sure that I am not being outbidded.

I find appeals a useful way to secure your core mods. In a semester if you want some popular, non core mods, secure those first. Then when you don't have enough points for your core mods, appeal for them. You will most likely get them, because you need them to graduate. BUT this usually works for the seniors in their 3rd or final year when they are about to graduate - it's a much better excuse Wink In your first and second year, you'll probably want to try to secure them in MPE or during module bidding. I would really encourage you to not choose all the popular mods in a semester! Manage your points well, especially if there are popular modules you are intending to take in future semesters. You don't want to go through the trouble of appeals every semester Very Happy Hope that helps!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:58 am