NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NUS Orientation: All the things an NUS freshman needs to know!

This forum was set up as a Community of Practice (CoP) for the module NM4218 Knowledge Management: Approaches and Critique. Please feel free to share anything that you think an NUS freshman should know! Thank you for your participation!

4 posters

Staying in hall

wenhui

Staying in hall Empty Staying in hall

Post  wenhui Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:26 pm

i am rather interested in staying in campus as i stay damn far. however, i did not apply for it this sem as i dono how to go about doing that. i would like to know more about the below:

1. how to apply?
    2. how much does it cost per sem?
    3. which hall is good? (as in more fun!)

thank you so much!!
    ANON

Staying in hall Empty Downsides of staying in hall

Post  ANON Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:52 am

I heard from some NUS graduates that there are a lot of distractions if you stay in one of the Halls. Have to be very disciplined to really study and not socialize too much. Else take a longer time to graduate! Smile
    Marielyn

Staying in hall Empty Re: Staying in hall

Post  Marielyn Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:53 pm

I heard that there are more than one halls right? Are there any halls that are with less activities?
    nictanjr

Post  nictanjr Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:59 am

hi wenhui

To answer your second qn, cost is 100 per week. meals differs for each hall. maybe you can go for nus open house? got all the info you want, got hall booths also. =)
    melissalim
    Admin

Post  melissalim Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:33 am

Perhaps you might want to think about what you are looking for in campus living.

There are multiple options available: halls, residences and the residential colleges. From my knowledge, people who stay in hall want to experience "hall life", participating in activities and interacting with the other residents. Residences don't demand as much time and effort in participating in activities but I think those are more expensive than halls. Residential colleges integrate living and learning together with peers and professors. I think you have to be in one of the programmes to live there though. That being said, living in the residential colleges cost way more than halls and residences.

I haven't stayed on campus before but you can find out more about residential colleges here: http://utown.nus.edu.sg/about-university-town/residential-colleges/

Maybe people who stay in halls or residences or residential colleges can help?
    hallife

Post  hallife Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 am

You can apply for hall during Freshman Accommodation Exercise, which is based on pre-University CCA and availability.

For freshmen, you can choose from the 6 halls: Eusoff, Kent Ridge, King Edward, Sheares, Temasek, Raffles.

The rates will depend on whether you want to stay in a single or double occupancy room. During the semester, costs range from 1190 to 3240. You have to pay for the meal plan too, it's mandatory. It includes breakfast and dinner for 6 days in a week. It costs around $400, depending on which hall you stay in!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content